What is wrong with Sky Cable and Sky Broadband's Customer Service?

Logo of Sky Cable Philippines
by Sky Cable under public domain.

For the past 3 days, there was an interruption with my internet connection. At first, I thought I neglected my payments. Unfortunately, because of the "green" policy for numerous companies not only here in the Philippines but, in other countries around the globe, I am not sent a "hard" copy of my statement of accounts. I have to check my billing details either via mobile (SMS) or via their website. Plus, there was a change in my due date so, sometimes I may make the mistake of not paying on time. I have already experienced being "disconnected" because I was late in my monthly payment. I had the impression that I would be "disconnected" from their service if, in any event, I was unable to pay for 2 consecutive months, not just 1. I found out the hard way that my payments should never be late.

The first few hours that my internet service was "put on hold", I immediately checked my statement of accounts and saw that nothing was amiss. I then went to check if SKY Philippines had an advisory if the problem was at their end. Nothing.

I reported my service problem via SMS and received the usual automated response. Again, no answers. I remembered that SKY has a customer service Twitter account and through Twitter I made my problem known. After, a few hours after giving @skyserves my contact details and account, I was promised a visit from their technician the next day.

I saw on @skyserves Twitter thread that someone else in my area was also complaining of service interruption. Also, SKY had begun to put up an advisory of affected areas that service has been restored via their Facebook page. This made me believe that there was a bigger problem. This just wasn't a usual technical mishap.

I asked @skyserves if there was a bigger problem and if it were possible if they put up an advisory of problem areas not just areas of restored service. Also, include a " time frame" in which they may be able to fix the problem. After almost 2 days of waiting, I got my answer. Finally, SKY put up an advisory of problem areas (my area included) and indicated a time frame which they thought the problem would be fixed. After, seeing this I stopped bothering them. My questions and the questions of many were answered through their social media accounts. Of course, I had to go through my "cellular data" (which is awful by the way) in the early hours of the morning to ask and receive feedback from SKY.

From the list of complaints from many irate clients like myself, I would like to point out the problems with SKY's customer service. First, to prevent being bombarded by an angry mob, provide an advisory if:
1. There will be an upgrade of systems. Banks usually do this. They provide a time when the upgrade will happen and when service will be restored. Thus, there will be no question by the public for the interruption of service.
2. There is a massive technical problem. Provide the reason, the areas affected, and an approximate time frame when the problem can be fixed and service restored. This gives answers to the public. Even as irate a client may be, knowing that their general area is being attended to gives a certain form of relief that the service will be back as soon as possible.

Secondly, SKY should provide adequate forms of customer service, not just a Twitter account or Facebook page. Social media is more intended for spreading an advisory and not providing customer assistance. A national customer hotline should be provided. One number for the whole country. People feel better when they talk to a HUMAN. Automated responses via mobile don't help us of our paranoia that there is something wrong with our account. SKY I believe is partnered with Globe telecoms. They can create a customer hotline using Globe like Jollibee partnered with Globe to provide free calls for Jollibee delivery. I believe that SKY has a hotline for each region. Unfortunately, their automated SMS response only provides the hotline for the general Manila area.
Screenshot of automated SMS reply
of Sky Philippines.

Thirdly, for their automated SMS responses, they should change it. I actually don't like what this statement implies " you are not affected by any plant-related activity". Are you (SKY) pointing the finger at us (subscribers)? That the problem is our fault? What a disclaimer...

SKY Philippines, I have been a loyal subscriber of yours for more than 3 years and I know service interruptions happen-it is inevitable. But, treat us with respect. Give us answers, a plan, and a time frame. Your customer service has not changed and has even gotten worse. Look at your competitors or your partners, look how their customer service is.

Honestly, I have been offered to get the SKY Bundle but I have to say that I am quite satisfied with Cignal. I have had Cignal cable for almost 6 years. They have good customer service. My set-top box stopped working- I called their customer service hotline to report the matter, gave them the account details and they told us within 3 days, they will send someone with a replacement. And it happened. No fuss. I'm hoping if I need a modem change, SKY may be able to do the same thing. Meaning, I just have to make a phone call and need not go to any SKY branch closest to my location. That's such a hassle.

I hope SKY will improve their customer service as well as their overall service in cable and internet. I have heard that the Philippine government will be allowing foreign companies to enter the telecommunications sector which was exclusive to Filipinos. This will give rise to a competition on who can provide the Filipinos better service.

The Pinoy Inquisitor will be back to answer questions that plague our society.












Comments

  1. Twitter for customer service hotline- what does sky cable think they are? A fast food service like Wendy's? When it's a service as volatile as cable and internet, they should provide a phone hotline. That's awful.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment